Home * Patterns * Tutorials * Made It * Our Story

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Kindergarten Rug

My little guy is growing up! He had his first day of school last week.

First day of school!

I had brought my dSLR with me, but... I left the SD card in the computer at home. Camera phone pictures are not my favorite, oh well.

They all had to get in the photo as well. :)

Group shot. :)


Hunter started Begindergarten, which is preschool in the morning, and kindergarten in the afternoon. His birthday is in May, and I had heard that boys do better when they are older in the class, so I figured this would be a good option. He would then do Kindergarten next year. So far he has only started the kindergarten part. Preschool starts at the beginning of September. But he LOVES it!!! He is so happy to go to school, and is actually really impatient waiting for me when it's time to go. :) Last year he had a really hard time making friends, and getting to know the other kids. This year he walks in the door and is already talking to other kids. I'm really impressed with him and how much he has grown over the summer!

With his level of excitement and his confidence, I had the thought yesterday that maybe I should have put him in full time kindergarten. Maybe he is ready, emotionally/socially. Yesterday afternoon the preschool teachers came over for a home visit, and I mentioned my passing thought to one of them. She kind of seemed excited about it, and let me know who I would need to talk to. I still didn't really think we would make the change. While I was putting the kids down for naps I googled, "boys being older vs younger in school". I found an article in the New York Times that disputed the benefits of holding your children back a year/starting them later. It said that the issue of being younger tends to level out at the end of first grade, and the learning curve of older vs younger children equals out by the end of elementary school. It also stated that younger students tend to go farther in school and have good careers (I don't know that it said better, but led to the idea that they are better off). The biggest motivator I got from the article was about keeping your children engaged and not holding off on that year. That was my biggest red flag when the preschool teachers came over, was "what is he going to learn this year?" I know some children do need to wait a year, and I'm not comparing or saying one is bad or good. But for him, I became so aware and worried that it would be a wasted year for him. I really feel like he needs to learn and be pushed and have this experience.

He's a smart boy, and he's starting to get easily bored. He could either, go to school three days a week, and roam around the house the other two days (sometimes playing with, sometimes fighting with his siblings), basically only getting a recap of what he learned in preschool last year with some extra play time. OR he could go to kindergarten 5 days a week, learning new things, being challenged, and having fun. I think the later sounds better. He is also ecstatic with the idea! Of course, I wouldn't switch him if I really didn't think he was ready, but I really do! The principal was so great to talk to, and helped me make sure that he is ready for this. Um, yep! He starts full time kindergarten tomorrow!! :) I'm excited and nervous! I know he'll do great!

It's all happening so fast!!

And all of this has made life a little busy and crazy!


As part of the school prep I made Hunter this rug for kindergarten. I guess they take naps/rest two days a week in the afternoon. Rather than buy one, I made one. Of course. :)


DSC_0281
Hunter picked out most of the fabrics, and I threw a few more in. His favorite color is blue.


DSC_0285
I quilted his name on one end.


DSC_0290
I cut the strips 2.5" x 22" and sewed them all together.


For the back I made his name in Illustrator and made a bunch of PDFs with each section of the name. I printed it out on freezer paper and cut out the letters and negative spaces. Sewing it together was a little tricky, but it turned out pretty well, considering I've never done this before. :)

DSC_0300
I used three different blue sketch prints for the letters, and a darker blue for the negative space.


DSC_0294
I appliqued a star for the hole in the R.


Jacskson was kind of willing to model it for me, for a size comparison. :)

DSC_0303
him sleeping


DSC_0310

DSC_0313


DSC_0317
"Mom! Stop taking my picture."

I figure a bajillion photos doesn't hurt, since I never seem to blog much anymore. ;)


Hunter was so sweet when he came home from school today and saw it. He ran up to me, gave me a big hug, and said, 'Thanks!" Melts my heart. ;) 


Diane

12 comments:

  1. Wow! I think his name on the back looks amazing! You did a great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so awesome!! I think Hunter will sail thru kindergarten. Love you all. Grandma B
    PS Mabel looks so cute in her little outfit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so awesome!! I think Hunter will sail thru kindergarten. Love you all. Grandma B
    PS Mabel looks so cute in her little outfit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, what an adorable little guy!! And I'm so glad you could recognise his ability and need for the challenge. I'm sure he will THRIVE :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sweet :) I love how you did his name on the back. I would have never known it was the first time you did something like that! It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a super cute matt and the back looks AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh! that is awesome how you did the Hunter on the back!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! First thought: what a good idea! Quick and simple jelly roll strips all sewn together. And then I saw the back!!! Wow again! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How exciting! Having kids in school is a little crazy. :) But, I do love it. He looks so cute and grown up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done! On both the matt and helping your little guy grow and get challenged in school. How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. He is so big already! Congratulations!
    The quilt is very cool!!!
    Esther
    esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com
    Ipatchandquilt dot wordpress dot com

    ReplyDelete
  12. love love it! very awesome Diane!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping in to say hi! I always love your comments, they make me smile!

If you have a no-reply account, be sure to leave your email address so I can respond to you.