Home * Patterns * Tutorials * Made It * Our Story

Saturday, July 13, 2013

A Peek into the Design Process

If you follow me on IG (@fromblankpages) you have probably seen some of the designs I've been playing with lately. (I share a lot on IG. WAY more than I blog.) Anyway, I thought I'd change it up a bit and share some of my creative progress here. :)


I recently came up with this little design:

 I like leaves



But they did need something. So I used some of the same basic shapes to make a flower:

 a rough draft



In an attempt to fix it and come up with the perfect flower, I came up with these, in this order:




 This one might be my favorite


 Then there was this. This was what I was initially thinking of.

A simple flower with a stem and leaves.


And there you have it. A peek into how my ideas evolve. I really love designing, and playing. The process itself is so rewarding. Lately I've really been letting the designs guide me, and not forcing anything in particular. It's led to some really fun things that I hope I can make into actual patterns and designs soon.

And on that note, I've been sick this week. (Not that that has anything to do with designing.) But since I've been a bit down and out, instead of sitting all day on the couch, I've been sitting at the computer a little more. Yesterday I finished up my first official quilt pattern! It's a pretty simple design, and one I've actually had in my notebook for well over a year, maybe two. The wait is finally over! I sent it out to a bunch of volunteer testers (all found on IG. Let me know if I should ask for testers over here on the blog, and I'll share the opportunities.) ;) Anyway, I hope that I can have it polished off and ready to publish by the middle of next month. I'm so excited, and nervous! It's taken me a long time to get up the courage to try a quilt pattern. Glad that time finally came! I definitely have other designs I'd love to share as well. :) 


Isn't life just full of surprises?! I love it!
Have you had any fun new adventures lately??
I hope so. It's so rewarding to try something new.
even if it doesn't work out.



p.s. please do not copy any of these designs. Thanks!

Diane

4 comments:

  1. I love that you have designed a quilt pattern, it is so exciting! I have several ideas for patterns but I always worry that I won't be able to explain the process well enough! Let alone figure out my design software. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely lack the creativity to come up with designs. I am so thankful for people like you who inspire me and enable me to create lovely quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you designed a pattern, I just recently tried my hand at writing up one for a quilt that I made for a contest, and it was really hard to write it up! Congrats and good luck with it! So exciting! xoxo (and I love the flower with the leaves!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool! Can't wait to see it stitched out!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping in to say hi! I always love your comments, they make me smile!

If you have a no-reply account, be sure to leave your email address so I can respond to you.